Formaldehyde toxicity is something you have to worry about when you sleep on a regular mattress.
This common toxin is used in mattress glues and in polyurethane memory foam.
Mattresses that have toxic chemicals in them release these toxins into the air in a process known as "off-gassing."
Formaldehyde is a colorless gas but it has a distinct chemical odor.
If you have ever opened a brand new polyurethane memory foam mattress you will be well aware of the pungent aroma of formaldehyde.
Formaldehyde toxicity is a serious issue, but one that most people never consider. Your body can absorb the gas either by breathing it or through the skin and eyes.
A severe reaction will cause respiratory problems and can trigger an asthma attack. It can also give you:
If you have a serious reaction to formalehyde you will know all about it and it will prompt you to think twice about the type of mattress you sleep on.
The problem is with people who don't have a bad enough reaction to notice the subtle poisoning. So they keep sleeping on a toxic mattress, night after night inhaling the chemical fumes that it releases.
Just because you don't have a severe reaction doesn't mean formaldehyde won't affect you. It just means it will gradually reduce your overall health without you even noticing it.
It is near impossible to completely escape some degree of formaldehyde in the home while living in the modern industrial world. It is in so many common household products including timber and plastics.
But you can reduce the amount of formaldehyde you're exposed to by choosing an organic mattress. The mattress is one of the most likely sources of formaldehyde poisoning because we spend eight hours of every day in close proximity to it.
If you have a mattress that doesn't have formaldehyde in it you will significantly reduce your exposure to this dangerous toxin.